Monday, July 07, 2014

Make me a Mixtape: 5 songs for the queens of the neighborhood


Today, let's listen to some grassroots, third-wave feminist-y, DIY embracing, empowering, educative music that is about something.  Music that forces you to confront things in a world where people don't often want to think about things that matter, especially in their spare time. Because what grrrls have to say is important and relevant.  We are undeniable, capable, indescribable, revolutionary.  We are fucking beautiful.  

Listen While: Crafting a zine about how you show up in the world-  without apologies.

PUSH PLAY

Let's start things off with a voice-over, because every good mixed tape has a voice-over:

"Certain people are like 'Oh, here come the Feminazis!' You end up acting 10 times nicer than you even need to be, to be the opposite of the stereotype like 'You're the man haters!' We're always bending over backwards being extra nice. And I don't know if being nice is my legacy.

While everyone's experience of oppression is different and complicated and often overlapping, I really believe that if you have privilege, you need to learn as much as you can about the world beyond yourself.

I can't constantly be trying to write the unwritten song, the song that the 15-year-old girl needs. I need to write the song that I need." -Kathleen Hanna


SIDE A

1. Rebel Girl // Bikini Kill
"When she talks, I hear the revolution/In her hips, there's revolutions/When she walks, the revolution's coming/In her kiss, I taste the revolution."
Listen Here

2. A Real Man // Sleater-Kinney
"All girls should have a real man/Should I buy It?/I don't wanna/I don't wanna join your club/I don't want your kind of love."
Listen Here

3. Do You Like Me Like That? // Bratmobile
"I've got a story about D.C. to tell/And I don't think you are going to like it very well/It's about boys and girls and the rich and the poor/But what if no one can afford to live here anymore?"
Listen Here

4.  Her Jazz // Huggy Bear
"You think you're going far, but you're going nowhere/You think you're taking me, but I'm going elsewhere."
Listen Here

5.  D.A. Don't Care // Team Dresch
"They tell you you lie/It's your word against his so tell me who's right...I had on a polyester basketball uniform/and I can't forget this if I try."
Listen Here

INTERACT: What's on the B Side of YOUR Queen of the Neighborhood Collection?


No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin